This is your Veracity Stew morning news roundup and top topics to kickstart your day for Tuesday – August 23, 2011.
- I’ve been saying this for years! Why Environmentalism is Conservative: Conservatives have abandoned their roots as environmental leaders.
“…their Grand Old Party actually started environmental protection in the first place. Richard Nixon signed into law most of the nation’s landmark environmental laws and founded the Environmental Protection Agency back in 1970. “
- Does Wisconsin’s new GOP-backed voter ID law violate the state constitution?
- Is Romney entirely tone deaf? Has he noticed how Americans are living these days?
For at least the second time since announcing his latest bid for the White House, the frontrunner for the Republican presidential nomination has reminded the public of how much wealthier he is than them…
Romney has filed an application with the city to bulldoze his 3,009-square-foot, single-story home at 311 Dunemere Dr. and replace it with a two-story, 11,062-square-foot structure.
Three years ago, Romney bought the “oceanfront manse in La Jolla” for $12 million. His campaign says the house on the property is too small for Romney’s large extended family, and so he’s dipping into some of that unfathomable personal fortune to expand it.
- NASA didn’t fund research on extraterrestrials, despite what conservatives claim
- Finally! A tax the Teapublicans will agree to raise! Rick Perry: Middle Income Americans Don’t Pay Enough Income Taxes. Oh dear. Actually, it’s worse than that.They also want to raise taxes on the poor!
- We used to call that lying Professor says Boehner’s DOMA lawyer “completely misrepresented” her research
- Shocking Mississippi Murder Symptom of National Problem
The security camera footage broadcast by CNN shows a grisly scene: a black man in Jackson, Miss., being fatally run over by a pickup truck after he was viciously beaten in a motel parking lot early on a Sunday morning in late June.
- Keep it classy wingnut Perry backer pays for ad asking, “Have you ever had sex with Ron Paul?”
- It was an accident! Honest! Nothing to see here!
Governor Scott has simply joined the ranks of executives, whose members include the likes of George Bush and Dick Cheney, that have their emails mysteriously deleted.
- Websites getting Koch blocked
- Bank of America exec tells Perry, “We’ll help you out.”
- U.S. Businesses Push ‘Job Creation’ Tax Cuts – While Hiding Info On How Many Jobs They’re Moving Abroad
- South Carolina Tea Party chair posts joke about killing Obama on Facebook
- CHART: On 15th anniversary of ‘welfare reform,’ aid is not getting to those who need it
- Wisconsin’s “choking judge” thinks he can decide a case argued by a lawyer he paid $75,000
- Quote of the Day
“That’s so baloney. Rich people don’t create jobs. Companies create jobs. [...] You probably pay a higher rate than I do… and yet my income is probably many times what yours is.” Henry Bloch, founder of tax preparation company H&R Bloch
- Top 10 myths about war in Libya
- Howard Dean stoops to Rudy’s level
- In wingnut world, money = freedom Rick Perry compares Civil Rights movement to GOP fight for lower corporate taxes
- Thank you, Dr. Obvious! New academic study of the Tea Party finds four defining traits: ”Authoritarianism, Fear Of Change, Libertarianism And Nativism” Gee, ya think?
- The decline of action filmmaking. A rather terrific video essay
Oh that classy Wingnut media How to go from somebody said something on MSNBC that “might” have originated in the White House to Obama’s playing the race card all in one story. Breathtaking.
- Obama helps whoop another bad guy* — suppose the Right will give him his propers? Nope. Me neither. (*Without a single US troop on the ground, without a single troop lost.)
- Shame! Gov Scott ‘Dubya’ Walker reaches for trust funds
- One of the world’s nastiest dictators gets his butt kicked, and Crazy Shelly’s not happy about it (told ya!)
- Why the rich should pay higher taxes.
- A recent history of the Religious Right (its actual history reaches back to 1909 and, believe it or not, it was funded by oil tycoons)
- Hypocrisy watch After blasting US Trials for terror suspects, Romney now wants one for “Lockerbie Bomber”
- Hypocrisy watch Romney attacks Obama for releasing his jobs plan too late, then announces he’ll release his own plan the same day
- Don’t pity the NBA owners
- Cooking is 2 million years old — and I still can’t get it right!
- White House releases proposal to modernize child labor laws Finally fighting back?
- Huntsman slams Perry on climate and Bachmann on gas prices Is he secretly on Obama’s reelection committee?
- Infographic: Terror Trials by the Numbers
- More wrongly convicted dodge the death penalty